Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Happy Birthday to a my Wonderful Granny



Today is my Granny's birthday. She was a wonderful grandmother. She passed away this past February and we miss her. We lived across the street from her when I was growing up, at least until I was 9 1/2. I can remember waiting at her house for the bus to school and going there after school was over. She always had snacks waiting for us. She had the best beaded necklaces that she would let us play with and a cabinet in her kitchen, under the microwave, filled with toys for the grandkids. Whenever I was in the bathroom too long, she would always come knocking to make sure I wasn't "meddlin'" in stuff. I am sure I usually was! I remember going to church with Granny and Papa sometimes and sitting in the red velevet theater-style seats. I was so fun to sit on top of the seat when it was folded up and then slide down with a plop as it folded down. Granny's purse always smelled of mints and she usually had certs or gum to give us. Of course, the gum wasn't for church! After I got a little older and moved to Texarkana, my favorite memory of her is how she would come out the door as soon as we drove up, ready to give out hugs and kisses and ooh and aahh over how we had grown. And the way Granny and Papa cried and prayed over us every time we were ready to get back on the road. She was a classy lady. I loved to see her all dressed up for church or to go out to eat. As I grew up even more, getting married, moving even further away, and having kids of my own, she would call to see how we were doing. I loved to hear her voice on the phone. And the times I was able to take my own children to see her were special and precious. I always knew she prayed for me and for my kids. She is part of my heritage and part of the legacy I am passing down to my own children: a Holy Ghost filled, Jesus name baptized, Christian lady that loved her family and put God and others first. I love you, Granny! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Melissa, for those beautiful memories. I am sitting here remembering and crying because I miss my Mom and Dad so much. The other night in church as Pastor Calhoun was preaching on Heaven .... in my mind's eye I saw my Mom and Dad and they were holding hands, dancing around the throne, and worshipping the Lord. Melissa, I remember also that paper that you wrote on school on Jesus' name baptism and we sent to Granny & Poppa and they came to Texarkana and were baptized in Jesus' lovely name! You definitely had a praying Granny & Poppa....any time there was a need, we called, they prayed, and God answered!! I love you!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

thanks melissa for remembering mom on her birthday. i love to read what you write. aunt shirley

Anonymous said...

Melissa, thank you so much for the wonderful tribute for wrote for Mom. She and Dad sure loved you and all their grandkids. I miss Mom and Dad very much. I look forward to THAT DAY when we will be reunited with them in Heaven. Won't that be wonderful? Thank you so much for the Christmas card. The kids are just beautiful. Miss you lots. Love, Aunt Peggy