Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A New Story

Delaney recently wrote a story and wanted to post it on my blog. Hope you enjoy!

A Butterfly's Wish
By Delaney Reighard
Once upon a time, a little butterfly larva was eating food. Then a big butterfly flew by her. The little larva said to the big butterfly, "I want to be like you, a big butterfly."
"Well," said the butterfly, "You have to do a lot of eating, turn into a pupa, and then form a hard case around your body, which is called a chrysalis or a cacoon. When you emerge you're a beautiful butterfly!"
"Like you," cried the larva.
"Yes, like me," said the butterfly. On and on the butterfly flew to find nectar.
The larva obeyed the butterfly. She ate and ate and ate until she was ready to be a pupa. When she was a pupa, she formed a hard case. Then when it was time, she emerged as a beautiful butterfly.
Now she will tell her children what she did and tell them to tell their children what will happen in their life.
Can you tell she was studying the life cycle of a butterfly in school?
She also illustrated her story, but I wasn't able to post those pictures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delaney:
What a beautiful story. I can see that you have the gift for writing like your Mom has. I am anxious to read more stories from you. The part of telling your children and your children tell their children.....could "Preach"!
Love,
Grandma & Poppa

Melissa said...

Thank you Grandma & Poppa
- Delaney

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your story, Delaney! Keep 'em coming! Love you & I hope to see ya'll soon!

Kim said...

wow! you have quite a writer on your hands Melissa, great job Delaney!

iluv2prshim said...

Great Story Delaney. You have the gift just like your mom. :)

Denise said...

Hey, Delaney, can Uncle Carlos borrow this story. He tells about the butterfly in one of his sermons and I think I like this one A LOT better!